Re: How to download and install Emacs CVS?

From: Rodolfo Medina
Subject: Re: How to download and install Emacs CVS?
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 13:19:36 +0100

Many thanks to all who replied.

Rodolfo wrote:

>when I installed Emacs-CVS in Mandrake 9.1 everything seemed to go well,
>except that Emacs is launched without graphical environment,
>with a black background and no possibility to use the mouse.
>Is that normal, or what did I miss?

It seems that the problem was due to the absence of the `libgtk+2.0_0-devel'
package.
In fact, repeating the Emacs-CVS installation after installing that package,
the problem was solved.

>When I repeated the installation in Mandrake 10.1 Community,
>during the 'make bootstrap' step the following message went on appearing:
>
>Warning: arch-independent data dir
>(/usr/local/share/emacs/21.3.50/etc/)
>does not exist.
>
>What's wrong? How to fix that? Maybe the lack of important packages?
>Can anyone say which ones?

I forgot to say that the installation failed in the end.
Well, I can't explain this problem, but:
after downloading Emacs-CVS into Mandrake 9.1
I had copied it into my '/mnt/windows' directory,
then from there I had copied it into Mandrake 10.1 Community
and installed it there. Now,
a) I noticed that the 78.5 MB size Emacs-CVS source directory
   had become 80.2 MB once copied into '/mnt/windows';
b) I removed the Emacs-CVS source directory from Mandrake 10.1,
   copied it again straight away from Mandrake 9.1 into Mandrake 10.1
   and its size kept 78.5, then repeated the installation
   and this time everything seemed to go well.

Now, some more questions.

1) To do daily updates, is it correct to do
   $ cvs -z3 update -dP
   from the my downloaded Emacs sources directory?;

2) after updating, shall I do
   `$ ./configure', `$ make bootstrap' and `# make install'
   again, or some other commands? I read the INSTALL.CVS file,
   but this point is not clear to me;

3) after the installation, Emacs came up all white, whereas I like the green
   colour of Emacs Mandrake default distribution. I couldn't solve the
problem
   with: `M-x list-display-colors'.
   Can anyone suggest where to find and modify that color setting at one's
pleasure?

Thanks indeed,
cheers,
Rodolfo