Re: [cygwin] win32 path helpers?

From: kurtz
Subject: Re: [cygwin] win32 path helpers?
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 14:30:31 +0100

Thomas L Roche escribe:
> Can win32 paths be made palatable to cygwin emacs? Why I ask:
>
> I use the emacs provided by cygwin. Its interactive find-file (etc)
> expects a cygwin path, e.g.
>
> /d/eclipse/devspaces/abbots/abbot.swt/doc/swt/patchingSWT.txt
>
> Unfortunately I often hafta use paths from native win32 apps, like
>
> d:\eclipse\devspaces\abbots\abbot.swt\doc\swt\patchingSWT.txt
>
> which find-file etc disdain; to make win32 paths usable I need to run
> 'cygpath' in a shell buffer (or just manually edit in the minibuffer,
> if the path is short). Is there code I can install that will obviate
> the need for such massage, allowing me to just paste a win32 path into
> the minibuffer?

I suggest you to use NT Emacs instead. It's native code, thus faster
than the Cygwin port, comes with a native Windows interface, thus also
faster than running X, and it's aware of Win32 paths but also can be
made aware of Cygwin paths by means of [1]this code. Combined with
[2]Gnuserv you get the most powerful and flexible text editor posible
also in Win32.

Feel free to ask me for my .emacs and .bashrc if you get stuck.

1. http://www.cygwin.com/faq/faq_3.html#SEC61
2. http://www.mhoenicka.de/software/sgml/tutorial/x363.html