Re: set visible-bell ignored

From: FCC
Subject: Re: set visible-bell ignored
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 13:00:14 +0100

J Krugman articulated on 01/05/05 05:46:

>Despite the fact that I have
>
>  (setq-default visible-bell t)
>
>in my Emacs init file, and that C-h v visible-bell confirms that
>it is indeed t, my Emacs still beeps at every opportunity it gets.
>It's driving me insane.  My zsh, on the other hand, responds as
>desired to "setopt no_beep".  Ba-a-ad Emacs!
>
>Does anyone know why Emacs would disregard the visible-bell setting,
>even when the terminal is perfectly capable of being silent?
>
>TIA,
>
>jill

Again, I am no expert, but a user trying to learn as much as possible,
but it looks like you need to set the current value of visible-bell to
t, not its default value, i.e.
(setq visible-bell t)
Also, since:
ring-bell-function's value is nil

Non-nil means call this function to ring the bell.
The function should accept no arguments.

Defined in `C source code'.
may be you also need
(setq ring-bell-function nil)
Hope this helps...

--
FCC.

===
War springs from unseen and generally insignificant causes.
-Anonymous