UTF-8 Copy/Paste

From: Robert Uhl
Subject: UTF-8 Copy/Paste
Date: 04 Jan 2005 20:49:57 -0700

I've got display of UTF-8 encoded files _within_ emacs working just
fine, but when I try to copy/paste between emacs and gnome-terminal,
gedit, gaim &c. I get gobbledygook.  Any ideas?  Right now I set up
Unicode with this:

  (set-language-environment "UTF-8")
  (set-buffer-file-coding-system 'utf-8)
  (setq locale-coding-system 'utf-8)
  (set-terminal-coding-system 'utf-8)
  (set-keyboard-coding-system 'utf-8)
  (set-selection-coding-system 'utf-8)
  (prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)

LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
LC_MONETARY=en_US

`How do you explain bikini underwear and chocolate
 sprinkles pressed between pages 102 and 103 of the
 Canterbury Tales?  It must have been quite an evening.'