Re: TERM=xterm-256color but emacs=8color

From: kj
Subject: Re: TERM=xterm-256color but emacs=8color
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 09:25:28 +0000 (UTC)

In <mailman.10832.1104815808.27204.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> "Eli Zaretskii"
<eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: kj <socyl@987jk.com.invalid>
>> Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 01:30:31 +0000 (UTC)
>>
>> Well, I just compiled emacs from the CVS codebase, but when I run
>> *this* emacs -nw on an xterm that I *know* (thanks to vttest/dynamic.sh)
>> supports more than 8 colors, *still* list-colors-display shows only
>> 8 colors.

>Does it work if you invoke Emacs like this:

>  emacs -nw --color=256

>?

No.  I tried --color=NUM for NUM=0, 16, 88, and 256.  In every case
list-colors-display showed only 8 colors.

I did not find the documentation for --color=NUM very helpful:

          Use color mode for NUM colors.  If NUM is -1, turn off color
          support (equivalent to `never'); if it is 0, use the default
          color support for this terminal (equivalent to `auto');
          otherwise use an appropriate standard mode for NUM colors.  If
          there is no mode that supports NUM colors, Emacs acts as if
          NUM were 0, i.e. it uses the terminal's default color support
          mode.

I can't figure out how to tell emacs what the "appropriate standard
mode for 256 colors" should be for my terminal.

OK, here's something that may or may not be a clue to what's going
on.  Despite the fact that C-h v visible-bell is t, I still get
annoying beeping from this emacs.

kj