Re: Macintosh character display (128-255)

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Macintosh character display (128-255)
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 13:26:31 +0100

Am 29.12.2004 um 12:37 schrieb David C.:

      (set-variable 'file-name-coding-system           'utf-8)
      (set-variable 'default-buffer-file-coding-system 'mac-roman-unix)
      (set-default-coding-systems                      'mac-roman-unix)
      (set-keyboard-coding-system                      'mac-roman)
      (prefer-coding-system                            'mac-roman-unix)

When I do this, every buffer is created in the Mac-Roman encoding.
And as a result of this, every buffer (whether new or loaded) shows my
test file as nothing but empty squares.  In other words, it made the
problem worse.

As for all the fontset work, I appreciate your assistance here, but I
really don't think fontsets are the issue.  As I wrote originally, my
existing font configuration _DOES_ show the required characters when
I do a find-file on the buffer.  It only has problems for new
buffers.  And all buffers in all frames are using the same font.

Trust me: with a bad font or fontset setup in a carbonized Emacs all your other settings are worthless: from where can Emacs take the glyph to display a number, a slot in a font's encoding? *This* mapping has to be correct! For example the Lucida Sans Typewriter font is for Mac OS X mac-cyrillic encoded although you can proof with other means that it's a "simple" Unicode font and the first few hundred code positions follow exactly the Unicode rule as for example shown in Character Palette, but since Mac OS X thinks different and maps 161 dec to some cyrillic glyph at U+04xx.

Make the fontsets match your inventory, make them usable at your site, and use them, then you'll see a difference in GNU Carbon Emacs. The default font seems to be OK for (US) ASCII, i.e. code positions 32...127. If you want to see more in its proper glyphs you have to use fontsets, you have to declare Emacs from where, from which font, to take the glyphs that correspond so some ASCII, ISO, Mac-Roman, or Unicode numerical value, because Emacs does not want any help in this issue from Mac OS (9 or X, 9 cannot help at all!). So you have to instruct. Did you look into the Help menu -> Describe -> Show all of Mule Status? (Is it self-compiled or did you fetch it from the net? The OS version number looks unknown to me. From where did you fetch it?)

I see in Terminal and in X11 in the mode-line usually a pointer to UTF-8 as u or uu or uuu. Shell has nothing, scratch is u, .emacs is 0 (ISO Latin-1 or ISO Latin-15). A Japanese Carbon Emacs from CVS comes with a default coding system of u, that is changed to M due to my settings. The t in your scratch buffer's mode-line stands for an undecided raw text: when you save it to a file you can decide about the coding system used for this. But till then Emacs does not know how to display character codes starting from 128 because there are so many coding systems in the world. So it has no real effect to force Emacs to display 8bit codes via (standard-display-8bit 128 255): Emacs is willing, and it is so by default, but which mapping do you wish? From which of the thousands of fonts can it take the glyphs? Try once: M-x set-frame-font TAB TAB -- and save this buffer for later contemplation!

--
Greetings

  Pete

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.