global info in mode line

From: Albert Reiner
Subject: global info in mode line
Date: 11 Dec 2004 18:25:38 +0100

Hi,

in my .emacs I have some commands that call keyboard-translate to
switch the roles of "Y" and "Z", but at times (specifically: when
pasting things via gpm) I have to turn that off.

What I would like is a way to add some indicator of the current
Y-Z-status to the mode line - any pointers to the relevant commands or
sections of the elisp manual (or even a ready solution) would be most
welcome.

TIA,

Albert.