Re: emacs for everything?

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: emacs for everything?
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 20:50:39 +0100

Maciek Pasternacki <maciekp@japhy.fnord.org> writes:

> On Sweetmorn, The Aftermath 39, 3170 YOLD, Kai Grossjohann wrote:
>
>> What's missing for screen is the equivalent of C-x b or iswitchb.
>
> What's wrong with <hotkey> l (windowlist)?  I rarely use more than
> eight windows so I don't need sophisticated methods to choose...

Well, you use multiple separate screen instances, I think.

But for the use case where you have one screen containing all sessions
(with multiple xterms attached via "screen -x"), you'll get many
sessions.  Something that's useful is to give them names that say
something about the purpose.

It seems to be natural for me to type C-o b frumple RET, say, to
switch to the screen session where I logged in on frumple.  Or C-o b
root@frumple RET for the root session on frumple.

The problem with windowlist is that you can select a window by number,
or by moving up and down.  But if you know the window title already,
you first have to look up its name.

The friend who uses C-o as the escape key in screen also has a script
which sets up the screen sessions he needs, in the order he needs.
Then he can select screen sessions by number, for he knows which
number does root@localhost have, and so on.

But that's not my usage pattern.  I create sessions on demand, and
then the number is not predictable.

Kai