CVS emacs and debian elisp packages

From: Andrew
Subject: CVS emacs and debian elisp packages
Date: 27 Nov 2004 17:16:21 +1300

So, I've just checked out the latest CVS version of emacs, compiled it
and installed it (using checkinstall, which makes a debian package).

I can't quite get it to use the existing libraries which debian has
installed, though. The debian emacs policy:

http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/debian-emacs-policy

says that

 At a minimum, each emacs must have the following directories in the
   given order in their load path:

     /etc/<flavor>
     /etc/emacs
     /usr/local/share/emacs/<upstream>/site-lisp
     /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp
     /usr/share/emacs/<flavor>/site-lisp
     /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp

I tried adding the value of load-path in debian's emacs21 in both
~/.emacs and /usr/local/share/emacs/21.3.50/site-lisp, but I still
can't seem to load 'VM'.  Perhaps for it to work, the things need to
be compiled in.

Perhaps it's a silly idea anyway. I note that the debian elisp
packages can call something to add things to load-path and such-like,
perhaps it's more trouble than it's worth.  I just thought it would be
nice to be able to apt-get install quack-el or whatever and have it just go.

Any suggestions? Is it feasible to get a hand-compiled emacs working
with the ddebian elisp packages nicely with minimum of fuss, or should
I just install the ones I want by hand?

|Andrew Tarr | arc@stuff.gen.nz |  http://arc.stuff.gen.nz
|GPG Public Key:- http://arc.stuff.gen.nz/andrew.gpg
|_____
"There is no excellent beauty that hath not
some strangeness in the proportions"
--Francis Bacon