Re: Efficient Emacs usage?

From: FCC
Subject: Re: Efficient Emacs usage?
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 09:59:21 +0100

Eli Zaretskii articulated on 11/23/2004 9:48 PM:

>What's wrong with the Insight front-end to GDB?  Or (since we are
>talking about Emacs) the latest gdb-ui interface that is part of the
>CVS Emacs code, for that matter?

Well, I have struggled to get gdb working using Intel Fortran95 compiler
(ifort) using Emacs 21.3.50.1, but the idb.el they supplied did not
work, apparently it works only under 21.3.1. On WinXP, I have several
Fortran compilers: Digital Visual Fortran, Intel Fortran, Salford
Fortran, and soon I will install the g95 from GNU. I could not get *any*
of them working with gdb in the first place.

I was able to use with only partial success ddd in debugging Intel
Fortran executables under Linux. Frequently it would complain about
address problems, and soon it would crash.

It is really frustrating to struggle to use debugger while you really
need to find out what is wrong with your code (and of course, what is
wrong with your knowledge of the theory behind your code).

Thanks for responding anyway,

--
FCC.

===