Re: emacs for everything?

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: emacs for everything?
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 12:00:58 +0100

Mike <mikee@mikee.ath.cx> writes:

> I know there are threads about creating an os with forth, lisp, perl,
> etc., what about emacs? Not creating the os, but rather doing everything
> from within emacs: mail, news, shells, browsing, etc. I know these
> things all work, but what about using emacs as a 'way of life' sort
> of thing?

Currently, my job is to do Java programming.  I use Emacs and JDEE
(and CEDET, which is required by JDEE) for this.

I use Gnus for mail and news reading.

I use CPerl mode for Perl programming, when I need to hack Perl.

I use AUCTeX for LaTeX document editing.

I use nxml mode for XML documents of all kinds.

I use eshell as a shell.  (I also use xterm with screen and zsh for
some tasks.)

I like to use emacs-w3m for web browsing, but not all pages look
acceptable with this, so I also use Firefox.  But I configured JDEE to
use emacs-w3m for showing the Javadoc help, and I like it.

I tried to use ERC with bitlbee for chatting (IM) but that didn't work
well enough for me.  I don't use IM a lot, so perhaps that's why Gaim
is better for me.  But I can tell that for people who use IM a lot,
the ERC/bitlbee combination is better.

In the beginning, I didn't do all these things, but these just crept
up with the years.

Kai