emacs freezes on XP SP2

From: Anthony Dardis
Subject: emacs freezes on XP SP2
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 17:05:03 -0400

Dear help-gnu-emacs,

Machine: IBM Thinkpad 600x, 10g, 192mb, 500mhz
OS (this one): Windows XP, Service Pack 2 just installed
emacs from emacs-21.3-fullbin-i386.tar.gz

Problem: I start a file (with a .txt extension) and after about a minute emacs freezes, cursor won't move, when I minimize and maximize the emacs window the contents of the window are not repainted, Windows Task Manager shows emacs using 90% of cpu resources. emacs never comes back and must be killed using Windows Task Manager.

(The machine used to run emacs 21.1 just fine under W98, and the machine also runs Gnu/Linux RedHat 7.2 without problem for 2 years.)

Thanks,
Tony Dardis