Re: how to delete a line without putting them into yanking?

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: how to delete a line without putting them into yanking?
Date: 10 Sep 2004 16:51:11 +0200

Rokia <Rokia@yahoo.com.cn.discuss> writes:

> I add this:   (global-set-key (kbd "C-c d") 'delete-line)
>
> when I press "C-c d" , I got this prompt:
>
> Symbol's defination is void :delete-line
>
> what's wrong. need I install some additional library?

Yes, probably. delete-line is not in a standard Emacs
install. At least not in mine (21.3).

Try this:

1. Put cursor somewhere on a line
2. C-x (
3. C-a
4. C-k
5. C-x )

Now you have recorded a macro that you can give a name:

6. M-x name-last-kbd-macro RET my-kill-line RET

Insert the macro definition in your .emacs file by opening
.emacs and going to the end of the buffer:

7. insert-kbd-macro RET my-kill-line RET

Bind the new macro using the method you tried before.

/Mathias