Re: Emacs mode intro question

From: ken
Subject: Re: Emacs mode intro question
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 07:56:33 -0400

Urban Gabor wrote:

Hi,

I would like to learn writing Emacs mode just for fun (and
help for myself...). I have found a very good Emacs-Lisp
tutorial, but I could not find any tutorial, how cold I
write a major emacs mode on my own. Can anybody help me?

Could you cc the reply to my mailbox, too?

Best regards

Gabaux
Linux is like a wigwam: no gates, no windows, and an apache
inside!
Your enthusiasm and curiosity are laudable. However, one of the first rules of programming is that you don't re-invent the wheel. There are already a *lot* of emacs modes and so you could be writing one which already exists. On the other hand, I'm guessing that there are a lot of open source projects on <http://savannah.gnu.org/> and <http://sourceforge.net/> which are cutting edge and need help. You could follow on on the develop of some interesting project and, if your coding skills are good enough, perhaps even contribute.

hth,
ken