Re: where to put my .xmodmap?

From: Alexandre Russel
Subject: Re: where to put my .xmodmap?
Date: 22 Aug 2004 02:47:26 +0900

bkhl@elektrubadur.se (Björn Lindström) writes:

> "Alexandre Russel" <scandrou@hpo.net> writes:
>
> > When I was looking into modmap I have seen this advice so tried it.
> > First had no .xsession in my home directory so created one and added:
> >
> > xmodmap ~/.xmodmap
> >
> > to it, but it didn't do anything.(considering there was no .xsession
> > file in the first place I don't think this file is read anyway). I had
> > a look in all of my . file and couldn't find one that would be read by
> > X.
>
> It may be that Fedora calls this file by some other name, but probably
> you just have to make it executable.
really  BAD.
If any one reading that thread is using his system only as root
 user, do not make your .xsession file executable if it contains
 only the:
xmodmap ~/.xmodmap
line, the result is not friendly.

I am using Fedora core 1 with gnome. I have my .xmodmap set up:
remove Lock = Caps_Lock
remove Control = Control_L

keysym Control_L = Caps_Lock
keysym Caps_Lock = Control_L

add Lock = Caps_Lock

keycode 115 = Control_L
add Control = Control_L
keycode 116 = Control_R
add Control = Control_R

and following the preceding advice wrote the line:
xmodmap .xmodmap
in my .xsession file and made it executable. I logged out and try
to log in again. I couldn't with the message:

Your session only lasted 10 seconds. If you have not logged out
yourself, this could mean that there is some installation problem
or that you maybe out of disk place. Try login with one of the
failsafe sessions to see if you can fix this problem.

Then I was asked if I wanted to view the details in
/.xsession-errors file with the result:

/etc/X11/gdm/PreSession/Default: Registering your session with wtmp and utm
/etc/X11/gdm/PreSession/Default: running: /usr/bin/X11/sessreg -a -w
/var/log/wtmp -u /var/run/utmp -x "/var/gdm/: 0.Xservers" -h "" -l":o""xyz"

with xyz standing for my login name(note that the previous line are note cut
and paste but wrote down and retyped so there maybe some inconsistence).
I could get out of the situation login in as root user, su with my normal login
name, renaming the .xsession in my home directory and login again under my
login name. I am not sure I could have done the same thing if I had only a root
user on my system.
So X definitely read the .xsession file but mine was not written properly...
Any help welcome,
Cheers,
Alex.