Re: text files use dos coding by default

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: text files use dos coding by default
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 19:36:52 +0100

"David Ellis" <ddellis@mail.com> writes:

> I am using emacs on Windows XP. It seems that text files use unix coding by
> default even though the files have carriage return-linefeeds at the ends of
> the lines. Is there a way that I can set this up to use dos by default?

The default on Windows is to create files with DOS line ends, and to
autodetect line ends when reading existing files. So either you have
something in your init files to make Unix the default, or the files
you are opening have inconsistent line-ends, so Emacs defaults to Unix
to avoid corrupting binary files.