Re: elisp macros problem

From: Rahul Jain
Subject: Re: elisp macros problem
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 21:55:51 -0400

Lowell Kirsh <lkirsh@cs.ubc.ca> writes:

> Why does this not work:
>
> (defmacro my-add-hooks (hooks &rest body)
>    `(dolist (hook ,hooks)
>        (my-add-hook hook ,@body)))
>
> ??

It does. In fact, every possible string of characters works as it's
supposed to.

You probably mean "why does this not do X?" but you never tell us what X
is, so we don't know how to help you achieve that.

Hint: you might want to macroexpand-1 a sample usage of the macro and
see if it expands to what you desired.

According to your definition:
(my-add-hooks '(lisp-mode-hook emacs-lisp-mode-hook)
  ...)
<=>
(dolist (hook '(lisp-mode-hook emacs-lisp-mode-hook))
  (my-add-hook hook ...))

Is that what you wanted?

--
Rahul Jain