Re: how to prevent 'line-wrap'?

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: how to prevent 'line-wrap'?
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 07:31:45 -0400

Thorsten Bonow wrote:

>     Chang> in vim, I can do this ":set" nowrap.(and recover by ":set
>     wrap") How Chang> can I do these actions in emacs?
>
> The function `auto-fill-mode' toggles "word-wrapping" in Emacs.
>
> To enable it for all text based modes, I have
>
> ;; ** auto-fill for all text modes
> (add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'auto-fill-mode 1)
>
> in my init file.
>
> Toto
>
> --
> Contact information and PGP key at
> http://www-users.rwth-aachen.de/thorsten.bonow

There's also refill-mode, which is auto-fill but works automatically
when editing in the middle of a line. It requires double-spacing
between paragraphs, though. Adjacent lines always get slurped up.

Like auto-fill, refill is a toggle. I bound both to function keys so I
can pop them on and off as I write, depending on which is most useful
at that point.

--Rod
Author of "Linux for Non-Geeks--Clear-eyed Answers for Practical Consumers"
and "Boring Stories from Uncle Rod." Both are available at
http://rodwriterpublishing.com/index.html.

To reply by e-mail remove the extra "o". It's to foil spambots, of course.