Re: using speedbar in a new buffer...

From: Klaus Berndl
Subject: Re: using speedbar in a new buffer...
Date: 04 Jul 2004 11:17:17 +0200

On Sat, 03 Jul 2004, Kai Grossjohann wrote:

>  Thomas Piekarski <t.piekarski@web.de> writes:
>
> > By default the speedbar is displayed in an externel window under X.
> > Is it possible to display the speedbar in a new buffer, this buffer
> > should be verticaly splited on the left side of the current buffer?
>
>  This is one of about 100 things that ECB can do.  Maybe you will like
>  it.

Maybe you will like it so much, that you never want to use speedbar but
instead "native" ECB-windows ;-)

OK, because in the last weeks your question has been posted from other people
too i will post here the cookbook to reach your goal:

1. Download and install ECB from http://ecb.sf.net
2. Read the following excerpt of the ECB-manual:

--- From the ECB-manual ---

Integrating speedbar in the ECB-frame
=====================================

It is very easy to integrate speedbar into ECB. There are two different ways
to do this:

1. You can either use speedbar in the directories-, sources- or
   methods-window of ECB instead of the built-in directory-, sources- or
   methods-browser of ECB. This can be done via the option
   `ecb-use-speedbar-instead-native-tree-buffer'.

2. Or you can integrate an extra speedbar-window into a layout independent of
   the existence of a directory-, sources- or methods-window. For this you
   can either use the built-in layout "left-dir-plus-speedbar" or you have to
   create your own layout interactively with the command
   `ecb-create-new-layout'. This way is not described in more details because
   there is nothing more to describe - just create your layout.

In general integrating speedbar into the ECB-frame makes sense for people...

 * ...who like the speedbar way of handling directories and source-files but
   also like the ECB-way of displaying the buffer-contents (like methods and
   variables in a source-file). This people should use the option
   `ecb-use-speedbar-instead-native-tree-buffer' and set it to `dir'.

 * ...who like the speedbar way of browsing things like directories, files,
   file-contents etc. but who dislike the extra speedbar-frame.

Note: It is not necessary to integrate speedbar if you only want parsing
sources not supported by semantic. From version 1.94 on ECB supports native
parsing and displaying of such sources (*note Non-semantic sources::)!

Regardless the group you belong, with the speedbar-integration feature of ECB
you can combine both worlds, the speedbar- and the ECB-world:

1. Choose a layout which either contains a directories- or a sources-window
   but not both of them(1).

   Because speedbar has also display-modes for buffers and info-nodes and
   some other useful things (which can be changed by the speedbar-command
   `speedbar-change-initial-expansion-list' we recommend layouts like
   "left15" or "leftright3" for using with speedbar.

2. Set the option `ecb-use-speedbar-instead-native-tree-buffer' to not nil.
   After this the chosen window of ECB will contain a full featured speedbar
   (the only difference to standard speedbar is not residing in an extra
   frame).

Note: If you belong to the first group of people (s.a.) a similar effect and
usability is available by setting
`ecb-use-speedbar-instead-native-tree-buffer' to nil and setting
`ecb-show-sources-in-directories-buffer' to not nil, because this combination
displays also directories and sources in one window.

So with the option `ecb-use-speedbar-instead-native-tree-buffer' you have the
choice which way of displaying and handling "things" (directories, sources,
methods...) you want (the speedbar- or the ECB-way).

During speedbar is running within ECB (i.e.
`ecb-use-speedbar-instead-native-tree-buffer' is not nil) the
speedbar-command `speedbar' is disabled and the speedbar-command
`speedbar-get-focus' switches between the speedbar-window and the
edit-window(2).

*IMPORTANT*: ECB can only integrate speedbar-versions >= 0.14beta1! If you
use lower versions of speedbar `ecb-use-speedbar-for-directories' has no
effect.

---------- Footnotes ----------

(1) Only one of them is needed if you use speedbar because speedbar displays
directories and sources in one window. But if you like wasting space then you
can also use a layout with both windows...

(2) The standard behavior is switching between the speedbar-frame and the
attached frame, but this make obviously no sense during running speedbar with
ECB.

Klaus

--
Klaus Berndl                    mailto: klaus.berndl@sdm.de