Re: "gnus help"

From: Florian v. Savigny
Subject: Re: "gnus help"
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 11:36:10 +0200

On 20 Jun 2004 04:41:33 -0700, david <liuyingzhi@yahoo.com> wrote:

i want to change the From:my_email varible

where can i find it ?

Perhaps you mean

(setq user-mail-address "my_email"
     user-full-name "My name")

which works for mail. But you haven't stated whether you want to use it for outgoing mail or for outgoing news articles. For the latter,

(setq
 gnus-posting-styles
 '((".*"  ; the all-matching regexp
    (name "My name")
    (address "my_email"))))

might be what you want (I do not now know what the stuff with the regexp precisely is about, but the first element of gnus-posting-styles probably is not optional, so I left it as it is in my ~/.gnus).

Note that for mail, your server might not allow you to specify arbitrary sender addresses. Note also that if you plan to put in a faked email address to escape spam, this is widely frowned upon. Consider opening a yahoo mail account instead.

NOTE ALSO that you should write an informative subject line (such as "specifying the sender address when using mail" or "specifying the sender address when using gnus") when posting an article (I am not criticising your English, but the content! It's OK not to be perfect in English.)

Florian