rlogin getting confused by ssh-askpass

From: Leandro Guimaraens Faria Corsetti Dutra
Subject: rlogin getting confused by ssh-askpass
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 17:36:35 -0000

        I have to access my home machine from work, and thought,
Great! one more task for the mighty GNU Emacs.  I actually have done
this before, but I guess it was with plain rlogin, because slogin is
getting seriously confused.

        I type wonderful M-x rlogin, then at the prompt answer
buffer, but with the disappointing content of 'Pseudo-terminal will
not be allocated because stdin is not a terminal.'.  Then it takes a
while, and fires a Gnome window asking me for my password.  I provide
it, and nothing happens.  Never ever.

        So I did that again having replaced ssh-askpass-gnome with its
Gtk+ and X11 variants, and got same results.  So great, it looks like
the rlogin package is confused.  Tried after removing all of them, and
restarting Emacs so it wouldn't perhaps think there was still
something there, and got now the befuddling buffer contents:

Pseudo-terminal will not be allocated because stdin is not a terminal.
ssh_askpass: exec(/usr/bin/ssh-askpass): No such file or directory
ssh_askpass: exec(/usr/bin/ssh-askpass): No such file or directory
ssh_askpass: exec(/usr/bin/ssh-askpass): No such file or directory
ssh_askpass: exec(/usr/bin/ssh-askpass): No such file or directory
Permission denied, please try again.
ssh_askpass: exec(/usr/bin/ssh-askpass): No such file or directory
Received disconnect from 201.6.145.152: 2: Too many authentication failures for
leandro

Process *rlogin-leandro@dutras.dyndns.org.* exited abnormally with code 255

        So what should I do, despair and open Gnome Terminal?  I even
tried looking at rlogin.el, but my ignorance got the better of me...

        Shouldn't it just ask me for my password in the minibuffer?

        Thanks in advance!

--
Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra           +55 (11) 5685 2219
Av Sgto Geraldo Santana, 1100 6/71        leandro@dutra.fastmail.fm