CC-mode comment syntax does not use `<'

From: mj s
Subject: CC-mode comment syntax does not use `<'
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 09:55:07 -0700

I was attempting to write a function that would look for the beginning and
ending of comments in C files.  I planned on using (skip-syntax-forward "^<")
and (skip-syntax-forward "^>") or something similar.  However, the C syntax
table of C-h s only defines the C++ endcomment as `>'.  C-style comments are
defined as `.' (punctuation).  I did not understand why the CC-mode would not
bother to define the comment-start and comment-end syntaxes; the Lisp Mode
Syntax has done so.  Is comment syntax deprecated; and if so, what is the
currently preferred non-mode-specific method?

Thank you.