Re: Disappearing EMAC files

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Disappearing EMAC files
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 07:40:07 +0000

Michele Reniff <mreniff@lcbmail.uoregon.edu> wrote on Wed, 26 May 2004
15:21:00 -0700:

All due respect, and so on, but what's somebody who's a "tech support"
doing posting in superfluous irritating spammish formats?

> I am tech support for the Lundquist College of Business and one of the
> faculty here uses EMACs.  His .emacs and assorted other files stored on
> the root drive of C have simply disappeared.  Lucky, he has a backup
> copy of the .emacs file and was able to continue working.  I was
> wondering if any other EMAC user has experience this phenomenon.

"Emacs", please, with an "s".  The most usual plural, not in common use,
is "Emacsen".

No, I've never experienced anything like this, apart from when I've
deleted files.  I've no reason to believe Emacs has deleted the guy's
files, and every reason to believe it hasn't.  Still, he's savvy enough
to have kept a backup, so no great damage has been done.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aacm@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter