Re: loading site start before .emacs

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: loading site start before .emacs
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 19:15:17 +1000

 David> Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il> writes:

 >> startup > > files load before .emacs?

 >> things if they > > are not being loaded before desktop-read is
 >> called (I had issues with > > ecp and now with preview-latex).
 >> >
 >> > What issues?  preview-latex should work fine with desktop as
 >> long as > the respective autoloads for AUCTeX (in tex-site.el) and
 >> > preview-latex have already been defined.  This is not about
 >> information > when desktop-read decides to call upon them.
 >> >

 >> preview-latex is loaded automatically by the site file, so when I
 >> open new latex files it is available.

 David> Obviously false.  preview-latex might be added into the
 David> load-path by your site file, but that appears to be about it.

 >> When using desktop, unless I add (load "preview-latex") before
 >> desktop-read then preview latex is not available for latex files
 >> opened by desktop for some reason.

 David> (load "preview-latex") does not load preview-latex.  Take a
 David> look at that file's contents.  It merely defines the autoloads
 David> for preview-latex so that any references to preview-latex
 David> functions will then cause preview-latex to be loaded.  In
 David> addition, it enters the preview-latex setup function into
 David> LaTeX-mode-hook.

 David> In short: preview-latex is most certainly not loaded, and not
 David> even initialized, automatically by the site file as you claim.

I think some further evidence that the OP may be on the wrong track is
that according to the emacs info pages, the site-startup.el file is
loaded BEFORE the users .emacs file

,---- From The Init File, `~/.emacs' Info Node
| Your site may also have a "site startup file"; this is named
| `site-start.el', if it exists.  Like `default.el', Emacs finds this
| file via the standard search path for Lisp libraries.  Emacs loads this
| library before it loads your init file.  To inhibit loading of this
| library, use the option `-no-site-file'.  *Note Initial Options::.
`----

Tim

--
Tim Cross