Re: font locking problem

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: font locking problem
Date: Sun, 09 May 2004 19:44:53 GMT

>> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument integer-or-marker-p nil)
>> goto-char(nil)
>> eval((goto-char (match-beginning 4)))         <====================
>> font-lock-fontify-keywords-region(1 1515 t)   <====================
[...]
> I've had a look at the code in font-lock.el, but can't make much of the
> information in the dump.  (In particular, I can't see the connection
> between the two lines of the dump I've marked with "<=======", which is
> the critical bit.  Stefan, what am I missing?)

font-lock.el has some `defsubst' (i.e. functions that get inlined) so the
backtrace is "incomplete".  The call to eval is actually in
font-lock-apply-highlight or in font-lock-fontify-anchored-keywords (both
inlined functions called from font-lock-fontify-keywords-region).

If you load font-lock.el (i.e. the source code), the backtrace will be
a lot more complete.

        Stefan