Re: Accessiing the CVS tip for Emacs

From: Peter Milliken
Subject: Re: Accessiing the CVS tip for Emacs
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 06:33:58 +1000

Hi Stefan,

I guess one of things I forgot to mention (but isn't perhaps non-obvious?
:-)) is that I am using a WIndoze box. From what little I can see of a
google search on "apt-get" it looks like a Linux utility - so do you use
Linux boxes at "work"? It's been more than 15 years for me since I was last
offered anything other than a Windoze box on my desktop - even when
developing software for/on Unix/VMS platforms.

My main "driver" for wanting to trial the tip of Emacs is that I am
"playing" with Subversion and it would appear that the subversion stuff for
Emacs has been merged into the development tip - but it won't work if you
attempt to extract the individual files and put them into the 21.3
distribution. Otherwise I would be happy to stick with my 21.3 build :-)
Where I currently work, we are a "PVCS" shop and I have been asked to
administer it - so my first job as administrator, I would like to
investigate moving the version control tools into the 20th Century at least
:-)

As for "what can I access?" - I can access the repository using the standard
web-interface (no idea what or how you would term that otherwise) and can
therefore download files on an individual basis. When I say I can't "access"
the CVS repository I mean that I can't access it using CVS itself and so am
not able to do a cvs checkout of the source tree (I believe this to be a
common problem for people behind firewalls????).

Having said that, Glenn's pointer to the nightly tarball of the CVS
repository was excellent. Now all I have to do is work out why the
configure.bat file in the nt directory doesn't recognise my Cygnus gcc 3.3.1
(with Mingw32) install........

Thanks for the time,
Peter

http://sourcecontrol.net/~miles/miles@gnu.org--gnu-2004