start-process + display-buffer chops out top of text

From: Phil Roberts
Subject: start-process + display-buffer chops out top of text
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 05:12:47 +0000

Hello all,

On my system, this piece of code chops the top part of the text out of the display output. Does anybody know why this is, and whether or not it is considered normal?

(let ((buf (generate-new-buffer-name "*Topchop*")))
 (start-process "Topchop" buf "uname")
 (display-buffer buf))

This is inconvenient if for example you have a feature that calls start-process to execute the Perl code in your current window and display the output in a new window, and you have to switch to the new window and scroll up every time you want to see the output.

I don't think the problem is with display-buffer, because the text generated by this code doesn't get chopped:

(let ((buf (generate-new-buffer-name "*Displays fine*")))
 (set-buffer (get-buffer-create buf))
 (insert "This text doesn't get chopped,\n\nWhich seems reasonable.")
 (display-buffer buf))

Thanks,

Phil

FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar – get it now! http://toolbar.msn.com/go/onm00200415ave/direct/01/