Re: Newbie: Interactive goto-line ?!

From: Floyd Davidson
Subject: Re: Newbie: Interactive goto-line ?!
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 21:31:51 -0900

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@elta.co.il> wrote:
>> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
>> From: Floyd Davidson <floyd@barrow.com>
>> Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 14:38:51 -0900
>>
>> How often do you ever use the facemenu-keymap command, compared
>> to the goto-line command?  In my case, I regularly use
>> goto-line, and simply *never* use the facemenu-keymap command.
>
>It's the opposite in my case.  For example, "M-g M-g" is invaluable as
>a means to fix bad font-lock fontifications (a.k.a. syntax
>highlighting).

That is not a default binding for either GNU Emacs or XEmacs, so
I'm not positive which function you have bound to it.  For that
purpose I have a menu item which does font-lock-fontify-buffer.
I rarely use it, which is why it's a menu item rather than
bound to a key sequence.  (My menus are not the default menus.)

Incidentally, with XEmacs the default binding for M-g is the
goto-line function.

>If you find yourself using goto-line too often, you should take a good
>look at the way you use Emacs: most uses of goto-line should be
>unnecessary because Emacs interface with various programs that report
>line numbers, such as compilers, Grep, etc., have commands to
>automatically visit the file and line number being reported.

If you are not using goto-line you are missing a very quick way
to move around in files.

--
Floyd L. Davidson           <http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson>
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)                         floyd@barrow.com