Re: Setting gdb to use eshell buffer

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Setting gdb to use eshell buffer
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 15:45:55 -0700

Kai Grossjohann wrote:
> Remember that Tramp uses a shell connection, the *tramp/foo* buffer,
> for most of its stuff.  (For all of it, except file transfer in the
> case of out-of-band methods.)
>
> The Tramp compilation function sends the compile command to the remote
> host, waits for the next shell prompt to appear, then extracts what's
> in *tramp/foo* and copies it to another buffer which it calls a
> *compilation* buffer.
>
> One *could* temporarily rename the *tramp/foo* buffer to *compilation*
> and show it to the user, then when the compilation is finished, revert
> the renaming and do the copying thing.  Down that path lies madness,
> though.
>
> Or one could install a process filter that fishes things from the
> *tramp/foo* buffer and copies them into the *compilation* buffer as
> they arrive.  But in that case, we need to prohibit users from
> invoking Tramp in the meantime, as the *tramp/foo* buffer is already
> busy.

Isn't that necessary anyway?  Because otherwise, the current
implementation would have other Tramp data interspersed with the compile
command's output in the *tramp/foo* buffer.

Would it be feasible for the Tramp compilation function to install the
process filter and arrange for it to be uninstalled when its done?

--
Kevin Rodgers