Re: mule : multibyte to 7 bit conversions

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: mule : multibyte to 7 bit conversions
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 15:17:16 -0700

nospam55 wrote:

Hi

since I passed to emacs version 21.2.1 on Redhat 8 I noticed that in Man mode (or at least after M-x man RET bash RET), looking for hyphens with C-s didn't work; same problem even when saving that man page on a file.

After some attempt I saw that with
    (toggle-enable-multibyte-characters nil)

an innocent -c became visible as \234\364\370\262c , and so on ; Mysterious utf8 proposals arose from attempts to save the manpage...

How can I bring this multibyte manpage into ordinary 7 bit ascii form ?
How to have manpages under emacs 7 bit by default ?

There was a discussion about this on the bug-gnu-emacs or emacs-devel list,
but I can't find it now to give you a reference.  You might try wrapping
LC_ALL=C around the call to the Unix man command, or (setenv "LC_ALL" "C")
around the call to the Emacs man command.

--
Kevin Rodgers