Re: Copying and pasting Cyrillic text between Emacs and other apps

From: Paul Gorodyansky
Subject: Re: Copying and pasting Cyrillic text between Emacs and other apps
Date: 28 Jan 2004 12:32:07 -0800

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote in message
news:<mailman.1491.1075282404.928.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>...
> > Date: 28 Jan 2004 08:27:22 +0200
> > From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@elta.co.il>
> >
> > Btw, does anyone know of a tool that can show what's in the clipboard
> > together with how the text is encoded there?
>
> Found it.  Google for ClipConvert and for Album from RWS Localization
> Tools.

I looked at the screen-shot of Album...

IMHO, it may be perfect for you and me, but definitely not for
and end user who has no idea about Internationalization,
so I doubt I'd put it as a suggestion on my page...

(free) Netscape 4.8 is *so* much easier, quicker, simpler -
standard scenario (based on numerious e-mails I get):

  - English computer (Windows 95...XP)
  - person works with non-Western texts, say Cyrillic (1251)

  - Netscape 4.8 has - unlike IE - Default Encoding, so
    a person has his non-Western encoding as default there.
    It means that every time he opens Netscape Composer,
    that encoding is already a current one in that window

  - now he needs to copy Cyrillic text from IE or Word
    to a non-Unicode window of a text editor or
    say Dreamweaver

  - no need to do those I18n specific things and settings
    and selections as Album requires to do
    (BTW, does Album require you to select needed
     options _every time_?):

    just copy your text from Word to Netscape Composer window
    and then copy from there to your destination!

It's so-o-o simple :) I use it all the time, because my
working tool is a non-Unicode plain text editor UltraEdit.

--
Regards,
Paul Gorodyansky