Re: emacs doesn't use the X clipboard

From: LEE Sau Dan
Subject: Re: emacs doesn't use the X clipboard
Date: 13 Jan 2004 13:22:56 +0100

    Jens> Same problems on my side: Mostly working on VNC-based X
    Jens> servers, a paste into Emacs sometimes works, sometimes not.

I also  once believed it to  be a VNC bug.   But when I  found that it
also happens without VNC, and it  only happens with Emacs, I know it's
Emacs's problem.

    Jens> I have isolated the problems a little bit, though.  Here is
    Jens> the exact scenario and my findings:

It's  amazing  that you  have  observed  so  many things.   I've  been
frustrated by this problem for years.  (I'm sure Emacs 19.34 never had
this problem.   Maybe neither did Emacs  20.* -- I'm  not sure.  Emacs
21.* always have this problem.)

If I  have found the patterns,  I would have come  up with workarounds
and also reported  the bug.  Since I haven't  been able to confidently
reproduce the misbehaviour, I refrain from filing a bug report.

    Jens> 4. After a select in Solaris Emacs, paste into xterm,
    Jens> immediate new select in xterm and paste back into Solaris
    Jens> Emacs, a paste into Solaris Emacs (regardless whether from
    Jens> xterm or NT Emacs) works again.

I've also discovered this workaround.

Strangely, Emacs to  Emacs cut&paste seems to work  all the time, even
with multilingual text, as long as  the text is not too long.  (I wish
the multilingual cut&paste also work between Mozilla and Emacs.)

--
Lee Sau Dan                     李守敦(Big5)                    ~{@nJX6X~}(HZ)

E-mail: danlee@informatik.uni-freiburg.de