Re: emacs doesn't use the X clipboard

From: LEE Sau Dan
Subject: Re: emacs doesn't use the X clipboard
Date: 12 Jan 2004 18:59:26 +0100

    Eli> Emacs pastes from X only if you didn't issue any command that
    Eli> kills text since the last X selection was made.  In other
    Eli> words, if you select text in another application, then
    Eli> immediately paste inside Emacs, you should get the text you
    Eli> selected in that other application.

Not always.   I've been experiencing  this annoying for some  time.  I
think the OP  has got the same problem that  I encounter.  Select text
in xterm,  and C-y  in Emacs (or  middle-click) while seeing  the text
still highlighted in xterm.  Emacs  pastes from the king-ring, not the
selection.  With the text  still highlighted in xterm, middle-click on
other apps and they all get the highlighted text from the xterm.

Worse yet,  this behaviour  is quite random  (to me).   Sometimes, C-y
does  paste   from  a  selection  (form   whatever  other  X-clients).
Sometimes, it  just pastes  from the kill-ring,  as if there  were not
selections  at all.  I  still haven't  figured out  the rules  of when
Emacs behaves one way and when the other.  So, to me it's "random".

    Eli> This is so because each text you kill in Emacs is
    Eli> automatically put into the X selection, so if you do that
    Eli> before pasting from X, the text you kill in Emacs overshadows
    Eli> the previous X selection in another application.

I  do understand  how  the  X selection  mechanism  works.  I've  even
programmed it in  C/Xlib.  That does not stop  Emacs from misbehaving,
though.

--
Lee Sau Dan                     李守敦(Big5)                    ~{@nJX6X~}(HZ)

E-mail: danlee@informatik.uni-freiburg.de