Re: Is there a way to move to next line in wrapped text?

From: Eric Eide
Subject: Re: Is there a way to move to next line in wrapped text?
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 17:36:03 -0700 (MST)

"leo" == leo <halloleo@noospaam.myrealbox.com> writes:

        leo> i had a look at the [`scroll-in-place'] package, beacuse i'm
        leo> annoyed at this jump by lines behaviour of next-line and
        leo> previous-line.
        leo>
        leo> but does `scroll-in-place' help with next-line/previous-line as
        leo> well.  i guess it only help for scrolling, doen't it?

Well, I guess it depends on your point of view.

You're right that the `scroll-in-place' package is primarily intended as a
replacement for Emacs' scrolling commands, not its point-motion (i.e., cursor
motion) commands.  But in many ways, the scrolling and point-motion commands
aren't all that different.  Scrolling command often change the location of
point, and conversely, point-motion commands sometimes cause the window to
scroll.

As a practical matter, I wouldn't (and don't) use `scroll-in-place' to replace
point-motion commands in general.  When I invoke one of those commands, I
expect point to move from its current screen position.  But when I scroll, I
want to "move" by having the text move beneath point, as if I had picked up my
pen and moved the paper under it.

Whether one moves the pen or the paper, the effect is similar (but not the
same).  The original question was about how to conveniently cause point to be
located within a long line, and my answer describes a way that "moves the
paper."  But I wouldn't always move the paper --- it's too hard to write that
way :-).

Eric.

Eric Eide <eeide@cs.utah.edu>  .         University of Utah School of Computing
http://www.cs.utah.edu/~eeide/ . +1 (801) 585-5512 voice, +1 (801) 581-5843 FAX