Re: how to stop saving these files

From: sebyte
Subject: Re: how to stop saving these files
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 19:45:49 +0000

emacs has been saving backup files in the same directory as the files that I edit. The backup files have names like Friends.java~1.8.~. How can I either
a) stop emacs from creating theses backups at all?
b) tell emacs to save them all in one place?

You could try simply adding this line to your .emcas :

(backup-directory-alist (quote (("." . "path/to/chosen/directory"))))

but this is a custom-set-variable from my .emacs.

To do it using Custom, type 'M-x customize-group <RET> backup <RET>' and then find the backup-directory-alist variable and edit accordingly. Ignore the bit about cons cell, scroll up and hit button 'set and save for future sessions' and you should be away.

sebyte