Re: emacs for Mac OS 10.3.1

From: Hugh Wolf
Subject: Re: emacs for Mac OS 10.3.1
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 21:03:26 GMT

On 2003-11-19, Chris Swoyer <fswoyer@cox.net> wrote:
> I've looked at enhanced carbon emacs, but it doesn't work with
> panther yet.

I'm using it in Panther to compose this followup.  It works fine for
me.

> There is another version, via fink, emacs21-xaw3d
> (also tried emacs32-nox), but I can't get my mac to build them; it
> grinds for a long time and prints a lot of stuff to screen, but
> always ends with "fatalerror 10".  I then tried to install the
> binary version but get a message about unmet dependencies
> involving ncurses.

You can build an emacs 21.2 with X11 support via fink if you get the
current package descriptions (in this case emacs21 21.2-26).

There's no fink package description yet for emacs 21.3 w/X11 in the
'stable' tree.  The emacs21-xaw3d you mention above is 21.3, but it's
in the 'unstable' tree, which I've found it best to avoid even though
it is more current.

> While I'm asking, what are the pluses and minuses of carbon
> emacs and emacs21-xaw3d.

You can run the X11 client remotely...