Re: emacs color scheme

From: Yongtao Yang
Subject: Re: emacs color scheme
Date: 03 Nov 2003 09:21:24 +0100

Han Xu <xuhan@tokyo.cc.gatech.edu> writes:

> Hello,

Hi,

> When I ssh/telnet to a Redhat Linux, and run same version emacs, it runs
> in terminal/text mode, and the default settings for colors are: black
> background, white text, and corresponding syntax highlights colors
> (different colors with GUI mode).
Since you are using a terminal with black background and white foreground.

> I prefer the colors used in terminal/text mode, but I use GUI desktop more
> than I use ssh/telnet. I am wondering if I can let Emacs use the same
> colors settings in GUI mode as in default terminal/text mode ?

There are several ways, since you are using X window, the easiest way
is to put the following into your ~/.Xdefaults file.

emacs*Foreground: white
emacs*Background: black

Then run
$ xrdb -load .Xdfaults
If you start emacs after that , you should have your GUI emacs with
the color theme as you textmode emacs.

There are some other GUI options you can tweak, it is a good idea to
check the emacs info, i.e. from emacs, do
"C-h i m Emacs m Resources X"

> (I tried to put color scheme setting in .emacs file, but the problem is
> that it changes both GUI mode colors and text mode colors, and it takes
> sometime to load the scheme. And I didn't find the right scheme matching
> the default terminal/text mode colors!)

Maybe "M-x color-theme-dark-laptop"?

--
Yongtao Yang