Re: Object identity

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: Object identity
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 19:56:03 GMT

In article <mailman.2101.1066765792.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
Lars Brinkhoff  <lars@nocrew.org> wrote:
>Barry Margolin <barry.margolin@level3.com> writes:
>> Anyway, there's a reason why Common Lisp requires that
>> PRINT-UNREADABLE-OBJECT be built into the implementation.  We didn't
>> want to expose an interface to getting these not-quite-unique
>> identifiers.  They're not much use for anything other than this one
>> function; if we provided the API, users would undoubtedly misuse it.
>
>I have no desire to get the not-quite-unique identifiers in Common
>Lisp.  I want to implement PRINT-UNREADABLE-OBJECT in Emacs Lisp.

I understand that.  My point was that just as PRINT-UNREADABLE-OBJECT has
to be part of the implementation in CL, your requested object-identity
function would have to be part of the Emacs Lisp implementation.  I don't
think there's any way to write this function in Emacs Lisp, it needs to be
a primitive in the C code that implements the Lisp interpreter.

--
Barry Margolin, barry.margolin@level3.com
Level(3), Woburn, MA