Re: [NEWBIE] exec path not expanding

From: Robert Pollard
Subject: Re: [NEWBIE] exec path not expanding
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 09:12:34 -0700

Hey Kai,

On Tuesday, October 14, 2003, at 02:20 PM, Kai Grossjohann wrote:

Robert Pollard <rpollard@apple.com> writes:

I am curious as to why my exec path is not expanding the PATH
variable. Does it expand it when it uses it or should it be expanded
in the exec-path variable?

I guess that $PATH should be expanded already.  I think that
exec-path is initialized from $PATH.

You are correct!

In the shell where you start Emacs, have a look at $PATH.  Does it
contain them "$SYBASE" strings literally, dollar-sign and all?

Technically, I don't start Emacs from a shell since it is a Mac OS X app but in a round about way it starts from my home, which does have the expanded versions of the path names. If I go to the terminal and printenv for PATH it has the path names expanded out.

Maybe PATH="$PATH" or setenv PATH "$PATH" might be useful things to
type in the shell before starting Emacs.

I believe it is correct. However, I don't know why Emacs doesn't see it the same. Maybe it expands the variables before it uses and it is some other problem??? I don't know what's is going on. For now, I'm dragging the documents to Emacs instead of using Dired to find files.

Thanks,

Robert

Kai