Re: emacsclient: controlling from an application?

From: DrMemory
Subject: Re: emacsclient: controlling from an application?
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 22:45:39 GMT

It was suggested that I set the auto-save-visited-file-name var:

>>You can set any variable on a per-buffer basis:
>>
>>(set (make-local-variable 'auto-save-visited-file-name) t)
>>
>>Try putting that in the file itself, either as the first line
>>
>># -*- eval: (set ...) -*-

Which didn't work:

>> It appears that the eval worked:
>> However, the auto-save is still behaving as if the global value were in
>> force:

And you suggested:

>The variable is consulted when visiting a file to setup some other
>auto-save-related variables.  What is probably occuring is that the
>variable is consulted before it is changed by the "eval: (set ...)"
>cookie.

Nosing around, I find a variable called buffer-auto-save-file-name.
Setting that in an eval statement does work, if anyone is
interested....

-*- eval: (setq buffer-auto-save-file-name "Whatever") -*-

Also, the run-with-idle-timer idea worked just fine. Thanks! Now I
just wish I could make the USR1 signal work. I'm running version
20.6.1 here at work, so I will try with my newer version at home
before submitting any bug reports...