Help - can't associate files on Windows XP?

From: Bjoern
Subject: Help - can't associate files on Windows XP?
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 22:02:01 +0200

Hi,

I'm using emacs 21.3 for Win32, but ever since I upgraded to 21.3 (I think, although I am not too sure about the exact timing), I have been unable to associate files with emacs. The 'open with' dialog doesn't accept runemacs as input. I manged to associate some files types with emacs by editing the 'file types' settings in the folder options, but that also doesn't work in all cases. I tried to create an association for .tex, but Windows forgets my settings as soon as I close the file types dialog...

Needless to say, running addpm doesn't change anything.

Any ideas? My worst fear is that by some evil scheme, windows doesn't allow associations with programs that are installed outside the 'Program Files' folder anymore... I've put emacs in c:\programs.

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Bjoern