Re: cannot install gnu calc

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: cannot install gnu calc
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 18:41:08 +0000 (UTC)

In article <bi5bkt$850$1@nemesis.news.tpi.pl>,
Lukasz Stafiniak <luk_stafi@wp.pl> wrote:
>Don Graffiti wrote
>> Hi,

SNIP

>Or much better: see at Emacs Known Problems (C-h P).
>There is a patch that fixes this problem and some other as well.
>Copy the whole patch to a new buffer, then choose from menu:
>Apply patch / To a File (answer y -- patch is already in a buffer),
>apply the patch to /home/graffiti/calc-2.02f
>
>BTW: try to get calc-2.02g, (probably a version with the patch applied),
>or a cvs version.

SNIP

I looked at my version of Problems (20.1.3), and the only
entry there for calc is for emacs 19.34!

(long time ago!)

QUESTION: These things in Problems -- don't the maintainers
ever *do* those patches?  If not, then *why* not?

And, if someone *does* do it (incorporate the patches
into a version), does the Problems for that version
usually end up reflecting that that "fix" has *already*
been done, or maybe even *remove* that item
from Problems?

What is the usual protocol?

Thanks,

David