Re: X platform clipboard?

From: FRC
Subject: Re: X platform clipboard?
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 18:07:18 +0200

"Bruce Ingalls" <bingalls@SpAmBlOcK.fit-zones.com> a écrit dans le message
de news:HiaVa.59345$852.57195@twister.nyc.rr.com...
> FRC wrote:
> > My goal is to have only one Emacs install on my machine, use it under X
most
> > of the time (with KDE/xfree86/cygwin) BUT also be able to run Emacs
without
> > X (and not in a cmd.exe...) when I got to get out of KDE (eg. when I've
> > work with many windows programs and switch between them very
frequently -
> > there's then no point in having emacs in a fullscreen KDE).
> >
> > Any suggestion? (hope this is not too much OT)
>
> You might want to look at <url: http://kde-cygwin.sourceforge.net/ >
That's this project that gave me the "idea" to work mainly under X with a
fullscreen window manager.

> Sadly, it is far more sluggish, than
> <url: http://cygnome.sourceforge.net/ >
> even on a 1Ghz 256M RAM P4.
I'll give it a try. So far my P4 3Ghz 2GB RAM has been doing fine :-)

> What is really nice about the latest Cygwin, is that plain X Window is
> now rootless by default, so no Window Manager is needed.

I know, but my goal is precisely to use a window manager and make my fav
progs (eg. Emacs) work with it.
Maybe this isn't worth the trouble, I dunno.

> Perhaps you can remove the root X window, by clicking on the X symbol in
> the system tray.
>
> I saw somewhere a program, that is supposed to facilitate sharing
> between the X clipboard and the w32 clipboard.
> If someone has a recommendation, please post!
Doesn't cygwin's Xwin got a -clipboard option? If not, try google on
xwinclip.exe (now we're completely OT)

FRC