Display of iso-8859-15 characters

From: Klaus Zeitler
Subject: Display of iso-8859-15 characters
Date: 22 Jul 2003 09:51:07 +0200

In some of the German text files I tried to look at recently emacs displays
Umlauts like e.g. "%/1€Œiso8859-15ä" instead of just "ä".
Don't know much about all these iso/locale settings and so far didn't have
any need for it. But it seems that more and more people are switching to
iso-8859-15 (probably due to the euro symbol). With the exception of an
occasional euro symbol these files would just read fine if it weren't for
all these long escape sequences. Is there a chance that emacs can skip these
escape sequences when displaying or can I tell emacs to treat 8859-15 as
8859-1?
I'm using emacs 21.3 (SunOS 5.8) and LANG is set to C. In my .emacs file
I have (set-language-environment 'Latin-1)

Thanks

Klaus

|  Klaus Zeitler      Lucent Technologies  |
---
I don't have to take this abuse from you - I've got hundreds
of people waiting to abuse me. --Bill Murray, "Ghostbusters"