Re: Evaluating lisp expressions or calling emacs functions form emacs cl

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Evaluating lisp expressions or calling emacs functions form emacs client?
Date: 20 Jun 2003 23:31:43 +0200

Barry Margolin <barry.margolin@level3.com> writes:

> In article <mailman.8368.1056143788.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
> Mercurio, Michael <Michael.Mercurio@adc.com> wrote:
> >Does anyone know an easy way to use emacsclient to invoke emacs functions or
> >lisp expressions?
>
> emacsclient can't do this, but I believe gnuserve can.

emacsclient --help yields

Usage: emacsclient [OPTIONS] FILE...
Tell the Emacs server to visit the specified files.
Every FILE can be either just a FILENAME or [+LINE[:COLUMN]] FILENAME.

The following OPTIONS are accepted:
-V, --version           Just print a version info and return
-H, --help              Print this usage information message
-n, --no-wait           Don't wait for the server to return
-e, --eval              Evaluate the FILE arguments as ELisp expressions
-d, --display=DISPLAY   Visit the file in the given display
-a, --alternate-editor=EDITOR
                        Editor to fallback to if the server is not running

Report bugs to bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org.

So just use --eval.  Of course, I am using the current developer
version of Emacs, so my emacsclient is a bit more powerful than that
of 21.3.