Re: simple editor required

From: Paul Edwards
Subject: Re: simple editor required
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 09:48:15 GMT

"Kai Großjohann" <kai.grossjohann@gmx.net> wrote in message
844r2opsuy.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de">news:844r2opsuy.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de...
> "Paul Edwards" <kerravon@nosppaam.w3.to> writes:
>
> > In text mode, if my file looks like:
> >
> > aaaa
> > bbbb
> > cccc
> >
> > Hitting enter at beginning of aaaa line creates a newline plus an indent of
> > 8 spaces.  (my tab is only 4 spaces), but I didn't actually expect any
> > indentation at all here.
>
> Whee.  Which version of Emacs is this?  Emacs 20.7?  Hm.

20.7.1

> What does C-h k RET say?

What does C-h k RET say?

RET runs the command newline-and-indent
   which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `simple'.
(newline-and-indent)

Insert a newline, then indent according to major mode.
Indentation is done using the value of `indent-line-function'.
In programming language modes, this is the same as TAB.
In some text modes, where TAB inserts a tab, this command indents to the
column specified by the function `current-left-margin'.

BFN.  Paul.