xml indenting again (sgml-mode broken???)

From: Bjoern
Subject: xml indenting again (sgml-mode broken???)
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 02:35:44 +0200

*SIGH* - now that I've upgraded to emacs 21.3 (Win32) from 21.2, html/xml-indenting appears to be broken again (not indenting, just inserting LOADS of whitespace everywhere). I searched the ng archives and found old answers to a similiar request of mine. I think back then I downloaded a new version of sgml-mode and replaced the one that comes with emacs. However, now sgml-mode doesn't recognise comments in my xml-files anymore, and it complains about unmatched tags, because I have something like

  <!-- servlet>
        </servlet>
 </servlet-mapping -->

in my file.

I tried copying the sgml-mode.el from my old emacs installation, but it didn't work, either (I also byte-compiled it).

What can I do now? I don't want to use psgml because of the pestering for DTDs.

I also need to look for a mode that can handle jsp-Files well, so recommendations for that would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance!

Bjoern