Re: WARNING: terminal is not fully functional

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: WARNING: terminal is not fully functional
Date: 29 May 2003 20:07:41 +0200

Irving Kimura <irving_kimura@lycos.com> writes:

> I find it infuriating that M-x shell does not give me a fully
> functional bash (or rather, a fully functional terminal).  For
> instance, I can't pipe things through less ("WARNING:  terminal is
> not fully functional").  And /bin/ls --color results in gobbledygook.
> Etc.
>
> Of course, my main reason for using M-x shell is to be able to
> treat stdout as any other Emacs buffer.  (In particular, I find it
> very useful to be able to easily copy selected chunks of stdout to
> another Emacs buffer.)  Is this capability fundamentally antithetical
> to a "fully functional terminal" that would allow me to pipe outputs
> through less, run /bin/ls --color, run man, run top, etc?  If not,
> is there any way to configure Emacs so that M-x shell operates
> under a "fully functional terminal"?
>
> Thanks!!!
>
>       -Irv

(add-hook 'shell-mode-hook
          '(lambda ()
             (set-variable 'tab-width 8)
             (ansi-color-for-comint-mode-on)
             (process-send-string (get-buffer-process (current-buffer))
                                  "alias less=cat ; alias more=cat")))

M-x term is no use for tops...

A good emacs  exercise would be to add support  for basic VT100 escape
sequences to  shell or term,  moving the cursor, and  overwritting the
characters, etc.  Should not be too difficult.

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__                   http://www.informatimago.com/
Do not adjust your mind, there is a fault in reality.