Re: WARNING: terminal is not fully functional

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: WARNING: terminal is not fully functional
Date: 29 May 2003 15:18:42 +0100

  Irving> I find it infuriating that M-x shell does not give me a
  Irving> fully functional bash (or rather, a fully functional
  Irving> terminal).  For instance, I can't pipe things through less
  Irving> ("WARNING: terminal is not fully functional").  And /bin/ls
  Irving> --color results in gobbledygook.  Etc.

This sounds to me like the system is just not recognising the terminal
type. I used to have this problem with ssh if I remember, as it
thought the terminal was no interactive.

  Irving> Of course, my main reason for using M-x shell is to be able
  Irving> to treat stdout as any other Emacs buffer.  (In particular,
  Irving> I find it very useful to be able to easily copy selected
  Irving> chunks of stdout to another Emacs buffer.)  Is this
  Irving> capability fundamentally antithetical to a "fully functional
  Irving> terminal" that would allow me to pipe outputs through less,

less is not going to work because its a pager. Nor is anything using
ncurses interfaces. You don't need less though. You can page back
using normal emacs buffer commands.

  Irving> run /bin/ls --color, run man, run top, etc?  If not, is
  Irving> there any way to configure Emacs so that M-x shell operates
  Irving> under a "fully functional terminal"?

I think that there is a ansi-color package around somewhere, which
turns the colour codes into colour.

In fact I've just found it. Type M-x ansi-color-for-comint and it all
works.

Cheers

Phil