Re: global-set-key [? \ M-ö]

From: Martin aus Chemnitz
Subject: Re: global-set-key [? \ M-ö]
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 13:35:57 +0100

:
:
> In the *scratch* buffer, I moved to the beginning of the buffer and

My *scratch* buffer is empty if I start with "-l foo.el", but I type
in some word and do the same.

> then I typed ESC <compose> " o.  (I don't have a German keyboard, so
> <compose> " o is my way of typing the ö character in X11.  You would
> hit your ö key directly.)  The cursor moved forward a word.

Do you mean M-ö? When I type M-ö nothing happens.

C-h k M-ö produces `M-ö is undefined'.

If I type in ö and C-u C-x C-= over it I get a similar result as you:
`latin-iso8859-1'.
,----
|  character: ö (04366, 2294, 0x8f6)
|    charset: latin-iso8859-1
| (Right-Hand Part of Latin Alphabet 1 (ISO/IEC 8859-1): ISO-IR-100)
| code point: 118
|     syntax: word
|   category: l:Latin
|buffer code: 0x81 0xF6
|  file code: F6 (encoded by coding system iso-latin-1-dos)
:
`----

If I open foo.el and do the same I get latin-1 as well.

,----
|  character: ö (04366, 2294, 0x8f6)
|    charset: latin-iso8859-1
| (Right-Hand Part of Latin Alphabet 1 (ISO/IEC 8859-1): ISO-IR-100)
| code point: 118
|     syntax: word
|   category: l:Latin
|buffer code: 0x81 0xF6
|  file code: F6 (encoded by coding system iso-latin-1-dos)
:
`----

M-x local-set-key M-ö forward-word
works well and assigns the key. The file foo.el does not.

But if my foo.el looks like this
,----
| ;-*- unibyte:t -*-
| (global-set-key (kbd "M-ö") 'forward-word)
`----
and I start Emacs like above, the key is assigned.

I'll get the same behaviour as you for latin-9, but latin-1 file does
not work.

Martin